Monday, April 16, 2012

The Wild, Wild West!

I'm talking hatchet throwing, pistol shooting, horseback riding, lassoing, skeet shooting, rock climbing, jeep riding, and hiking!  And, if you think I'm kidding, I'M NOT!

It was an amazing 3 weeks in Arizona.  And, most importantly, we accomplished what we really wanted to do.....spend an extended amount of quality time with Aunt Janice.  I can't remember if I mentioned that Janice lived with us for the first 3 months of Rainey's life.  In those 3 months, she became so integrated and connected to our family.  My children (at least Chancellor) still remember vividly her stay with us.  Since then, Janice would keep the children from time to time, but there has never been a long stay since then.  We know life moves on, people get busy, and children are in school.  When would anyone have 3 weeks to spend with someone?  Janice and Lee Ann opened their beautiful home (think pool, hot tub, and desert scape in the back yard) and were gracious hostesses to us.  The fact that they have never been married or had children and then a family of 5 moves in.....well, I'm surprised they survived!

Before some of you start thinking that all we are doing is playing and not learning.......WRONG!  Somehow we managed to get schoolwork done and learn and see things that we could only do in Arizona.  And isn't that what this is all about?  Yes, reading, writing, and arithmetic are important, but my hope is that we have all learned and taken from all the places we've been to.  So, back to Arizona.  We learned desert survival skills!  We know what cactus you can eat, what cactus we can get water from, and what cactus we can use as a compass.  We've learned rock climbing skills.  We've seen one of the seven wonders of the world, the Grand Canyon.  I knew I wanted my children to see this "God Wonder."  The Grand Canyon truly takes your breath away.  We had so much fun there.  We stayed at the oldest hotel on the rim of the canyon.  We watched documentaries, looked at art work, and learned about the native Americans.  Incredible!  Sedona was another fascinating place.  The red rock formations were also breathtaking.  We took a pink jeep tour that was insane!  Our guide was full of geological and environment information.  In case you are ever lost in the desert with me, and I have to perform surgery, I know what plant to use as a sedative and what plant we need to make tequila, so we've got our bases covered!  And, we keep learning......Janice hooked us up with a visit with a nutritionist.  Nutritionist Patti, or should I say "Perky Patti."  We met her as a family....our family and hers and what a treat that was.  It was an eye opener for all of us!  And, on that note, not only did Arizona give us a glimpse of life in the desert, but it was also the beginning of what I hope to be a healthier life style.  Each day began with lots of sunshine, devotional, walks and bike rides through the desert, and eating healthy!

But, you know what all work and no play will make you......So, we got plenty of play in!  We went to a spring training baseball game.  The Giants vs. the Rockies!  It was so fun.  Rainey even caught a ball!  And, I would be remiss if i didn't mention In and Out Burger!  My children think it should be illegal to not have an In and Out Burger in every state!

One of my highlights was hiking Camelback mountain in Scottsdale.  Janice, the kids and I set out with hydration backs and granola bars to take on the mountain.  A mountain that doesn't look that intimidating.  Boy, was I wrong!  It's a tough hike with lots of steep inclines and virtually rock climbing at the top.  And, it was worth every step!  The feeling we all had when we got to the top was priceless.  The sense of accomplishment on my children's faces was priceless.....And that's not something you can get in the classroom everyday!

The 3 weeks went by so fast!  We laughed and played games.  We sat up talking.  We got to live and enjoy our time with Janice.  We all have memories to last a lifetime!  So, it's off to Utah!  More adventures, more memories, and more of life!  See you in Park City!  Love and peace to all of you!

Callie



 

1 comment: